Regular Meeting – August 7, 2007
Posted On August 7th, 2007
Mayor Sheila Williams called the meeting to order and Pastor Augustus Williams offered invocation. Tracy Sullivan, Town Clerk called the roll.
Commissioner Michael Jones, Commissioner William Sharpe, and Commissioner Cheryl O’Neal, Commissioner Lewis and Commissioner Pride. Town Administrator, Sonya Meeks was also present.
APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES
Motion was made by Commissioner O’Neal to approve the Minutes of the Regular Meeting held on July 10, 2007 and Special Called Meetings held on July 16, 2007 and July 26, 2007. The motion was seconded by Commissioner Pride.
APPROVAL TO PAY THE BILLS
Motion was made by Commissioner Lewis to approve to pay the bills. The motion was seconded by Commissioner O’Neal.
CITIZENS PETITIONS AND COMPLAINTS
- Becky Humphrey- Mrs. Humphrey inquired as to when the ditch on Creekside Drive would be cut. She reported that there was a caution sign down in the ditch and the Waste Industries truck was leaking on the streets. Mrs. Humphrey was concerned that the park lights staying on at night would allow for misconduct after dark. She also asked if the Town was under a water restriction would the farmers be allowed to purchase water from the Town.
- Anita Turner – Mrs. Turner was pleased with the progress that the Town has made. She thanked appropriate departments for quick response to calls relating to high grass at abandoned homes and thanked the Police Department for taking care of vandalism issues at abandoned houses in Millwood Subdivision.
Mayor Williams responded to Mrs. Humphrey’s concerns citing that as a planning board member there was a need for both boards to work together on town issues. Commissioner Jones responded to Mrs. Humphrey’s concern with the suggestion of locking the gate at the park from dusk to dawn and for citizens to call the Police Department for any disturbances at the parks.
Motion was made by Commissioner Sharpe to go into Closed Session. The Motion was seconded by Commissioner O’Neal.
Motion was made by Commissioner Pride to return to Open Session. The Motion was seconded by Commissioner O’Neal.
- Motion was made by Commissioner Jones to enter into the Fire Contract dated
August 7, 2007 for a payment of 13,750.00 for the 1st quarter when an executed contract was returned by the Fire Department.
- Motion was made by Commissioner Sharpe to table the approval of a Town Seal. Motion seconded by Commissioner Pride.
- Motion was made to lease for 7 years a knuckle boom truck for the Streets and Sanitation Department by Commissioner Lewis. The Motion was seconded by Commissioner Pride.
- Motion was made by Commissioner O’Neal to approve the resolution from Wilson County for the 2007 Tax Reconciliation. Motion was seconded by Commissioner Jones.
- Robert Masters of Carolina Opportunities presented the Town Board with a Planning and Economic Development Contract. After much discussion by the Board the issue would be presented to the Planning Board and revisited by the Town Board at another meeting.
Clifton Wallace, Utility Director read the Electric report. (Attached)
Commissioner Lewis read the Streets and Sanitation report. (Attached)
Robert Smith read the Water and Sewer report. (Attached)
Tab Balkcum read the Fire Department report. (Attached)
Chief Bissette read the Police Department report. (Attached)
Sonya Meeks, Town Administrator, read administrative monthly report.
Tracy Sullivan, Town Clerk read the Bank Balances.
Mayor Sheila Williams announced that the next Agenda Meeting will be held on September 11, 2007 at 6:30 p.m. and the Regular Meeting at 7:30p.m.
Motion was made by Commissioner O’Neal to adjourn and the motion was seconded by Commissioner Jones.